[Words & book list curated by Ps Robert Fergusson]
There are numerous books on communication and as a teacher I enjoy them all.
The first requirement of a teacher is a love of learning – if we lose the passion for learning we forfeit the right to teach.
So every book on communication has something to teach us, nonetheless, I have found these books to be particularly helpful.
Spirit-Led Preaching by Greg Heisler
- An inspiring book that re-visits the vital role of the Holy Spirit in preaching.
Preaching to a Postmodern World by Graham Johnston
- A helpful book on the challenges of communication in a postmodern world.
The Language of Leadership by James C. Humes
- A practical book on the practice of public speaking in the context of leadership.
Christ-Centred Preaching by Bryan Chappell
- A challenging book on how to keep the cross of Christ central in our preaching.
Made to Stick by Chip & Dan Heath
- A practical book on teaching, telling stories and making messages memorable.
How to Read the Bible for All It’s Worth by Gordon Fee & Douglas Stuart
- A foundational book that explains the rules of good Biblical interpretation.
Communicating for Change by Andy Stanley & Lane Jones
- A provocative book which challenges traditional preaching styles.
Everyone Communicates. Few Connect by John C. Maxwell
- A leadership book which highlights the skills of effective communication.
Saving Eutychus by Gary Millar & Phil Campbell
- An accessible book on the basics of sermon structure and Biblical preaching.
Talk Like TED by Carmine Gallo
- An excellent book on nine tips of public speaking with TED as a template.
Preaching by Timothy Keller
- An excellent, inspiring and well-researched book on expository preaching.
The Seven Laws of the Learner by Bruce Wilkinson
- A comprehensive book about the principles and practice of teaching.
Each week Robert Fergusson, Global Teaching Pastor of Hillsong Church, sends a profound and challenging piece of advice to the preaching team of Hillsong Church as they prepare for the weekend ahead.